If you’re facing issues with your Samsung TV remote not working, don’t worry as there are some easy fixes you can try.
Firstly, ensure that the batteries in the remote are not dead or low. Replace them with new batteries if needed.
If that doesn’t work, try resetting the remote by removing the batteries and holding down the power button for 30 seconds. Then, reinsert the batteries and try using the remote again.
Another solution is to check if there are any obstacles between the remote and the TV. Sometimes, objects can block the signal and prevent the remote from working properly.
If none of these solutions work, try resetting your TV to its factory settings. This can be done in the TV’s settings menu or by using the remote (if it is still working partially).
If the problem persists, it may be a hardware issue with the remote or the TV. In that case, you may need to contact Samsung customer support for further assistance or consider purchasing a new remote.
- Start With A Battery Check
- Reset Your Samsung TV Remote
- Verify Remote Pairing If Samsung TV Remote Not Working
- Pair Your Smart Remote Control With Your Samsung TV
- Check For Interference And Obstruction
- Restart Your Samsung TV
- Power Cycle
- Update Samsung Smart TV
- Network Connection Check
- Replace Your WiFi Module To Fix Samsung TV Remote Issues
- Utilise SmartThings App
- Get A Universal Remote Controller
- Use A Wireless Keyboard As A Replacement
- Concluding The Samsung TV Remote Not Working Issue
Start With A Battery Check
It is recommended to start troubleshooting the issue of a Samsung TV remote not working with a battery check.
The lifespan of remote batteries can vary based on the brand, operating temperature, and handling. Dropping the remote control often can cause damage to the batteries, while batteries from lesser-known brands may be more prone to issues.
If you are experiencing issues with your Samsung TV remote not working, check the batteries first. Look for any white powder, granules, or fading colors on the top and bottom of the batteries, as this may indicate damage.
If the batteries are damaged, replace them with fresh AAA batteries immediately. It is also essential to clean the terminals inside the remote control compartment if there are any signs of corrosion. Once the battery issue has been resolved, check if the “Samsung TV remote not working” issue has also been fixed.
Reset Your Samsung TV Remote
If the Samsung remote batteries are not an issue, then try going for a reset.
- Open the battery cover from the battery compartment.
- Remove the batteries from your Samsung TV remote control.
- Wait for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Again insert the fresh batteries (AAA batteries) into the Samsung smart remote (battery compartment).
- Press the Power button on the Samsung remote control for about 5 to 10 seconds.
Now press buttons on your Samsung smart remote to check if it works well.
Verify Remote Pairing If Samsung TV Remote Not Working
Samsung smart TVs today get connected to the remote in ways either via Bluetooth or by using infrared rays.
Like any other device, the Samsung smart TV automatically gets disconnected from the remote, primarily when you have not used it for a few days.
Therefore to check if your Samsung TV has paired to your remote,
- Click on Menu on your Samsung Television.
- Go to the “Connected Devices” section.
Here, check whether the remote is paired correctly.
Pair Your Smart Remote Control With Your Samsung TV
Pairing is a process in which your Samsung Television and the new remote can be linked so your TV knows which commands to respond to.
Usually, the smart TV and the remote control will be automatically connected when the TV reboots after an update or when you power on the TV, but this is not always the same.
So now, how to pair your new remote control to the TV?
- Turn on your Samsung TV
- Point your remote straight toward the TV screen.
- Hold the “Return” and “Play or Pause” buttons on the remote for about 5 seconds.
- Now the Android TV should start the pairing process.
Once they have been connected, test your remote by pressing some buttons.
Check For Interference And Obstruction
If your Samsung TV remote not working, there might be objects or devices like a cable box blocking the (infrared) IR sensor from the remote.
You can resolve this quickly by removing objects (like a table lamp, vase, or cable box) blocking the (infrared) IR sensor path from the remote control.
Moreover, you can also place your Samsung TV in a new location where it gets proper signals (infrared sensor) from the Samsung TV remote. Then try using your remote control or turn on your TV using the remote sensor.
If your TV responds well now, your Samsung smart touch remote has no issues.
Restart Your Samsung TV
Restarting gives a fresh start for your Samsung system and lets you have a new experience.
Even though restarting is a simple option, many people often underrate this and hesitate to proceed.
Now, here are the steps for a simple restart;
- Turn off your Samsung smart TV.
- Unplug the Power cable or cord from the wall outlet (power source).
- Wait for about 30 seconds
- Plug the Power cord back into the wall outlet (power source).
Try turning on your Android TV using the Samsung smart touch remote and see if the Samsung TV remote not working is fixed.
Can a simple power cycle resolve most of your Samsung TV problems?
Happily, the steps for a power cycle are super easy, and here they are;
- Disconnect your TV plug from the power outlet.
- Press & hold the “Power button for about a minute (60 seconds)” (to drain the remaining power left from the capacitors)
- Now connect the plug back to the power outlet
- Turn ON your TV using the remote (not the TV button)
We hope you have resolved the Samsung TV remote not working issue.
Update Samsung Smart TV
The Samsung brand releases updates periodically, and most have set it to auto-update.
However, sometimes when you have to update the software manually.
Similarly, you may encounter Samsung TV remote not working not because of your remote but because the Samsung TV needs to be running up to date software version.
Therefore check if your Samsung TV requires a software update, as this might create an issue between the TV and the remote. Now, here is how to update your software; (Refer user manual if required)
Note: The steps might differ according to the TV model.
- Choose Settings
- Navigate to All Settings or Support
- Tap on “Software Update.”
- Tap on Update Now to confirm the updating process.
Network Connection Check
The smart TV and the remote require a stable internet connection to function correctly.
If your Samsung TV remote not working, it may be because of connectivity problems (as the commands cannot pause from your remote to the TV).
However, the quick fix here is to restart your modem, and the steps are below;
- Turn off your Samsung TV
- Reset your modem (you can try unplugging it or switching it off)
- Wait for 30 to 40 seconds
- Plug it back in or switch ON your modem
- Wait for a few seconds.
- Now check if you have resolved the Samsung TV remote not working issue.
If you are facing a Samsung TV remote not working, don’t worry. Let us move on to the next fix!
Replace Your WiFi Module To Fix Samsung TV Remote Issues
Even though this is uncommon, some Samsung TVs use a combined WiFi module and infrared sensor.
However, if you are well known for the remote functionality, you might know that all the remotes come with an infrared sensor for sending signals to the TV.
In contrast, if there is a fault or issue with the infrared sensor, your remote might be unable to transfer signals to the TV. Therefore, you must consider using a new WiFi module for your smart TV.
But comfortably, the WiFi modules are less expensive and can be quickly installed in all Samsung smart TVs.
Utilise SmartThings App
Using the Samsung SmartThings app is one of the most straightforward solutions if your Samsung TV remote not working. You don’t have to wait to access the Samsung smart TV until you get the replacement remote.
SmartThings app is a remote control application from Samsung that lets you control the TV and other Samsung devices, even from your mobile devices or any Samsung tablet.
You can use the SmartThings app by simply downloading it from the App Store or Google Play.
Then create an account to add your Samsung TV to the application.
- Open the SmartThings app.
- Tap on the “+” symbol (which you can see in the top right corner of the app)
- Choose the option “Device.”
- Click on TV
- Select Samsung TV
- Then type the Room Location and Identifier and tap on Next.
- You will get a PIN on your TV screen.
- Type the PIN on your SmartThings Samsung TV app.
- Click on “Done” to connect your Samsung TV to the SmartThings app.
- And you can see the TV appearing as a tile on your app screen
When successfully connecting your Samsung TV to the app, click on the TV name and choose the option “remote.”
Luckily you can do whatever you wish from a 4D pad, channel navigator, numbered remote, and other options. Then you can start controlling your TV from your mobile devices.
Get A Universal Remote Controller
In contrast to all the above troubleshooting methods, you can also opt for a replacement remote. But it takes time, and we have another quickest fix: a universal remote controller for your Samsung TV.
The universal remote control is not only helpful for operating your Samsung TV set and lets you control all other smart appliances in your home.
In other words, I consider the universal remote controller practical, better, and handy even when the Samsung TV remote not working or the TV button (physical buttons) is not working.
Use A Wireless Keyboard As A Replacement
Thanks to the advancements in technology and features, you can use a wireless keyboard to control the TV even when your Samsung TV Remote Not Working.
This is an excellent solution if you cannot fix your Samsung TV remote after trying all the possible solutions.
How To Pair Your Wireless Keyboard With The Samsung TV?
- Put your wireless keyboard in a pairing mode, and it should be discoverable now (you can check your user manual for the steps if you are unaware)
- Go to the Bluetooth device list section on your Samsung TV.
- Tap on the wireless keyboard to pair.
- For 2019 & 2018 Samsung TV models;
Settings -> General -> External Device Manager -> Input Device Manager -> Bluetooth Device List
- For 2017 Samsung TV models;
Settings -> General -> External Device Manager -> Keyboard Manager -> Add Bluetooth Keyboard
- For 2016 Samsung TV models;
Settings -> System -> Input Device Manager -> Add Bluetooth Keyboard & Gamepad
- For 2015 & 2014 Samsung TV models;
MENU -> System -> Device Manager -> Keyboard Settings -> Add Bluetooth Keyboard
For Samsung TV models in 2016 and before, you will get a code on the TV screen while in the pairing process. And you are required to type the code on your keyboard to complete the pairing process.
The wireless keyboard has a touchpad that helps you navigate the TV screen; the keys are used to enter anything.
Besides, to turn ON the Samsung TV, you must utilize the power button on your TV set (physical buttons) without needing a remote control!
If All Else Fails
When you finish all the solutions curated but your Samsung TV Remote Not Working, you can ask for a replacement remote from Samsung.
Moreover, you can also contact the Samsung support center and discuss what else you can do to get your remote working back.
Or else book an appointment to get your remote fixed by a Samsung professional.
Concluding The Samsung TV Remote Not Working Issue
Whether to increase the volume or access the features of a Samsung TV, the remote control is one of the essential tools while using a smart TV.
So how annoying it would be when your Samsung TV remote not working when you are trying to stream content.
Still, thankfully, you are here, and we hope that any of the above solutions discussed will help you troubleshoot the problem in seconds.